- Fundrasing Opportunities in your Community
- Blue Jean or Casual Day at work- Ask employees at your company to “pay” to dress casually or wear jeans for the day. This increases awareness of PMS and generates contributions.
- Charity Yard Sales- This is a great way to make money by selling items you no longer use. Coordinate a multi-family or neighborhood sale.
- Sell your stuff on e-Bay and contribute the proceeds to the Foundation with the click of a mouse. Some of you are literally “e-Bay professionals” . Feel free to share your secrets with the group!
- New Business/Patient Appreciation- Do you work for an employer who uses appreciation days to create new business? Ask them to consider using the Phelan-McDermid Syndrome Foundation as their charity. For each new customer/ service donate the proceeds to Phelan-McDermid Syndrome Foundation.
- Ask your business to become a corporate sponsor. Donate your services for the day with proceeds going to Phelan-McDermid Syndrome Foundation.
- Ask your local Masonic Lodge, Lions, Knights, Kiwanis or Rotary Club if they would consider supporting our cause. If they only support local charities perhaps they could help your family with travel, childcare and/or registration expenses incurred at the next conference.
- Sell PMS support group shirt, sweatshirts, license plate covers to family, friends and coworkers. Combine this with an appeal letter.
- Network! Network! Network! Is there a celebrity in your midst? Ask them to consider becoming an ambassador for the Phelan-McDermid Syndrome Foundation. Can they donate an item to be auctioned off?
- Car Wash- Join with a service group to publicize and recruit volunteers.
- Sell Department store books on location. Many stores give charitable organizations a chance to sell coupon books and keep the proceeds. A family in Ohio has had great success selling “Community Days” coupon books for the Bon Ton department store chain.
- Tribute, honorarium, memorial or legacy gifts
- Birthday / Holiday gifts – ask family members to make tax deductible donations to Phelan-McDermid Syndrome Foundation instead of buying gifts.
- Memorial gifts - Families have raised thousands of dollars asking for memorial contributions to be directed to Phelan-McDermid Syndrome Foundation.
- Endowment – The Foundation has set up an endowment fund for long-term funding. Donors can “leave a legacy” through this designated contribution. Grandparents may be interested in looking at a Charitable Gift Annuity which provides the donor with a tax deduction, guaranteed lifetime income and permanent charitable funding to the Foundation.
- Kroger Cards
If you shop at Kroger or any of their affiliated retail outlets (like Frys, Fred Meyer, Food4Less, or Payless) you need to get a 22q13 Deletion Kroger gift card. Kroger will donate 4% of all money spent at their stores. Think about that. How much do you spend on groceries? What if you buy gasoline from one of their outlets including KwikShop, QuikStop or TomThumb? Here’s a store locator look-up link to find the Kroger company stores near you….( store locator)
Contact Helene Finke at
if you want to get set up.
- Letter writing or email campaign - see examples here:
Corporate Matching Gifts
A growing number of companies offer to match employee contributions to charitable organizations. Click here to see if your company is listed. Check to see if your circle of family and friends and the companies they work for are listed.
Do you buy clothing, airline tickets or for that matter anything on-line? If you do, you should be doing it through iGive.com. It’s a virtual mall of more than 700 stores and services. These companies donate anywhere from 1 to 25% of the purchase price of goods and services to our worthy cause. These contributions come directly from the companies. It’s like a rewards program for our Foundation at no cost to you.
Get registered now at this link >> www.iGive.com/PMS
After you’re registered and whenever you log on to a website that is listed as an iGive merchant it automatically sets up the donation process if you make a purchase.
Why wait? Do it now and start helping a cause near and dear to your heart!
United Way –
Direct your workplace donation to our organization. Ask family, friends and coworkers to direct their donations to our foundation. Contact your local chapter for more information. Each chapter has different policies about the eligible charities they will fund. However, most have what is called “indirect donor designations”. In this case, 85% of the proceeds you make will go to your designated foundation and 15% remains with United Way. If you are having difficulty with your local United Way in getting funds to Phelan-McDermid Syndrome Foundation contact Denise Koester at
The Phelan-McDermid Syndrome Foundation board of directors has created an annual appeal campaign to past donors. The goal is to alert past contributors through a letter of our ongoing need for funding and to keep them updated about the Foundation. See below for an example of last year’s letter.